Czech trdelnik is a famous street pastry that can be tasted not only in the Czech Republic. For example, in Hungary, baking is called kurtoskalach. Trdelnik is baked on coals, is considered a festive treat and is sold at fairs or Christmas markets. But what if you can't get to Prague, but you want to try baking? We offer to cook a trdelnik in the oven, adding a touch of autumn to the dough, pumpkin puree and spices to a traditional pumpkin pie.
|Cook Time||180 minutes|
- 240 gram Flour wheat / Flour
- 6 gram Dry yeast
- 1 piece Egg yolk
- 40 gram Sugar
- 90 ml Milk
- 90 gram Vegetable puree pumpkin
- 25 gram Butter
- We prepare the ingredients: I prepared pumpkin puree in advance, then we soften the pumpkin pulp in a saucepan, and then rub it through a sieve and cool it to room temperature. In advance, remove the butter and egg from the refrigerator, preheat the milk to a pleasantly warm temperature (36-38 ° C). Walnuts are traditionally used for sprinkling. I took the hazelnuts and added some peanuts in the cooking process. Separate the yolk from the protein.
- Mix the spices and add half of the mixture to the flour. The second half of the spicy mixture will be left for sprinkling. Add salt to the flour and set aside for now. In a small bowl, mix warm milk, sugar and dry yeast. Cover the dishes and leave in a warm place for 15 minutes to activate the yeast. As soon as the foam cap appears, we move on.
- Firstly, the dough will turn out to be viscous and heterogeneous. Continue to knead the dough for about 10 minutes, and gradually it will turn into a soft, elastic and slightly sticky dough. Put it in a bowl greased with a small amount of vegetable oil. Cover and leave in a warm place for 1-1. 5 hours to rise.
- I used a paper towel sleeve. Wrap them with foil, and then lubricate the foil with a small amount of vegetable oil so that the dough does not stick to the foil during baking. For sprinkling, chop the nuts with a rolling pin or a pusher and mix on a baking sheet or on a large plate with brown sugar and spices set aside earlier.
- Wrap the dough strips tightly in the prepared sleeve so that their edges are without dough. Why? I'll tell you about it in the next step. The dough should overlap. We try not to stretch the dough so that the pastry does not break in the oven. Brush the dough with protein, and then roll in a sharp nut sprinkle.
- The sprinkling should completely cover the dough on all sides. Another problem that needs to be solved: trdelniki are baked by weight, so they are obtained in the form of a tube. At home, a baking dish will help, which will be slightly narrower in size than the sleeves. That's why the sleeves do not need to be completely wrapped with dough: put the sleeves with the dough on the sides of the mold so that the dough does not touch the walls or bottom of the mold.
- There is no need to turn the rolls over. Bake the products immediately after molding in the oven, preheated to 200-205 ° C, for about 25 minutes or until the dough is ready. Carefully remove the spindles from the bushings by sliding them to the edge. let them cool completely on the grill, and then serve to the table.